Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Working

I like my job. It has just the right balance of mental application, physical activity, and utter lack of real responsibility. I work nine to five, five days a week and never have to do overtime or take stuff home. If I must have a job it’s a good one.

The problem is…I HATE WORKING.

Given the opportunity – such as a lottery win or large bequest from some wealthy yet, hitherto, unknown relative - I would turn on my heel and walk out. Without a second thought or a backward glance.

When I read of lottery/pools winners saying, “I plan to keep working”, I think: Don’t give the money to them! They have no imagination. They won’t appreciate it or put it good use. Give it to me!

People have told me that they’d be bored without a job. I scoff at that. *scoff, scoff*

There is a whole glorious world out there full of things to do and places to see. There are books to read, artworks to admire, people to meet. Given my mythical windfall I would enrol in mixed and multifarious classes. I’m a great fan of ‘ologies, for example:

Monday: Ecology
Tuesday: Psychology
Wednesday: Geology
Thursday: Egyptology
Friday: Holidology – long weekend – woohoo!

I would have the time and money to travel in the ways I enjoy - by train and boat. Unhurriedly, like in the good old days.

Incidentally, I think the Industrial Revolution was a really bad idea. In my opinion, the only worthy product of industry was the locomotive (although they should have stuck with steam). Arguably, it was all necessary to enable us to arrive here, in the Communications Revolution but, are steam powered computers actually impossible?

I love the idea of ‘renting a villa for the season’ but would be just as happy to stay in my trusty old tent. I don’t need luxury and am not fond of excess. I just want to see some of the beauty and wonder that the word has to offer. I want to learn as much as I can. All I need is to be a lady of independent means. Donations welcome.

*****

This test takes a little while to do but it’s interesting, I think: http://www.personaldna.com/

I’m a ‘freewheeling inventor’. Cool.

2 Comments:

At August 30, 2006 2:03 pm, Blogger Jaffers said...

And I feel you could make productive use of your time by striving womanfully to revive some of these fine words and phrases: http://celticfringe.net/history/vocab.htm

 
At August 30, 2006 6:14 pm, Blogger JazzBaby3 said...

Thank you, my sweet, for this fine suggestion. However, I find that this Interweb location has its home in our north american colonies. If you peruse their list of phrases you will find that many of them are, in fact, English and are still in common use today.

Have you paid a visit to the ‘Stoke Manderville’ link on my list? You jolly well should, by Jove!

Verification word: ncoqvod - something rude in Russian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home